We are proud to announce that Borton Overseas has become part of the Travelers Against Plastic (TAP) initiative. Globally, 2.7 million tons of water bottle plastic is used each year, creating a devastating impact on our environment. The goal of TAP is to help travelers commit to cleaning their own water while traveling, instead of buying single-use plastic water bottles. This is actually safer, cleaner, and more cost effective, in addition to making a huge positive impact on the environment! Below we have answered some Frequently Asked Questions about purifying your own water while traveling; we encourage you to take the pledge and be a part of the solution to the plastic epidemic threatening our world!
How does purifying my own water help the environment?
Supporting the production and sale of plastic water bottles while traveling increases the need for single-use disposable plastic, and many of the bottles that are purchased and discarded end up in landfills, oceans, and alleyways. In fact, 86% of single-use plastic water bottles become landfill or litter in the US, and in other countries that number is higher. By committing to purifying your own water while traveling, you save thousands of plastic bottles from landfills in the places you visit, help prevent these bottles from ending up in oceans and lakes, and save oil that is used to make the water bottles out of plastic.
Is it cheaper for me?
Yes! When you run the numbers, bottled water can cost as much as $10 per gallon, which is significantly more expensive than gas. To put it further in perspective, if tap water cost the same as the cheapest bottled water, monthly water bills would come to $9,000. Using sustainable, self-purifying options will not only help to save the environment, but it will save you money in the long run.
How do I purify my own water?
There are many options for purifying your own water! Here is a list of some of the ways that we suggest:
- Get a STERIPEN
- A small, lightweight device that cleans the water with ultra-violet light
- One Steri-PEN cleans 8,000 bottles of water, and only needs to be charged once every 10-14 days
- The technology is proven and safe
- Cost: $65-140
- Cost per bottle of water: $0.001
- Potable Aqua Tablets
- Proven effective
- Simple to use
- Takes about 35 minutes to take effect
- Cost: $6-8 per bottle of tablets
- Cost per bottle of water: $0.27
- First Need Filter
- Great for cleaning turbid water
- Proven effective
- Manual pump, takes effort but simple
- Cost: $110 per unit
- Cost per bottle of water: $0.15
- GRAYL Purifier Water Bottle
- Filter water from almost anywhere in 15 seconds
- One purifier cartridge gives as much clean water as 300 single-use water bottles
- Easy purification and filtration removes 99.999% of viruses and bacteria
- Cost: $60 per bottle
- Cost per bottle of water: $0.20
Borton Overseas has partnered with GRAYL to offer our clients an exclusive discount on Purifier Water Bottles! Inquire with your Destination Specialist for more information!
- Drink bottles are the most common type of plastic waste
- 480 billion plastic bottles were sold globally in 2016 – that’s about a million bottles per minute!
- Plastic bottles take 700 years to begin composting
- 90% of the trash in the ocean is from plastic
- Americans spend more than $15 billion dollars annually on bottled water
- In the US alone, making bottles of water out of plastic takes more than 1.5 million barrels of oil each year
Be the Change you want to see in the world! Join Borton Overseas and many other companies who are taking steps to reduce plastic pollution and keep our Earth healthy!